Many have a sweet tooth but are unable to enjoy sweets owing to health problems. If you are in this bracket of people, stop worrying and start enjoying life with the sweetness of nature. Here are a 5 top natural sweeteners that will bring all the joys of sweets in your life minus the harmful effects of sugar:
1. Stevia (Stevia rebaudiana) – totally calorie free, this is actually much sweeter than sugar and hence you do not even need too much. It is excellent for tea/ coffee and other beverages, but not good for baking, though.
2. Maple Sugar – pure maple syrup is a rich source of minerals (manganese, zinc, etc) and antioxidants. It gives 51 calories per teaspoon, which almost same as sugar. It is good for baking. For tea and coffee it is an acquired taste.
3. Honey – raw dark honey is rich in antioxidants. Honey also contains many vitamins and minerals besides being an excellent anti-fungal and anti-bacterial agent. It is great in tea and coffee as well as in baking.
4. Coconut sugar – it tastes almost like sugar, it is excellent in baking as well as in tea/ coffee. It is rich in potassium, Vitamin B8 and it has a very low glycemic index.
5. Agave – its vegan and has a low glycemic index. Agave is basically 90% fructose, which if taken in excess can turn into bad cholesterol. Agave tablespoon for tablespoon is about 10 calories more than sugar. It can be used in baking with a little adjustment.